After nearly a century of debate about what to do with the patch
of land in front of Apsley House, Wellington Arch, designed by Decimus
Burton, was erected in 1828. The sculpture, by Adrian Jones, was
added in 1912. Before it was installed Jones seated three people
for dinner in the body of one of the horses.
recent conservation project restored the arch. The public now has
access to exhibitions in the inner rooms. A viewing platform beneath
the sculpture has great views of London.