Conceived in 1901 by Sir Aston Webb and constructed of the finest white marble, the Queen Victoria Memorial monument was unveiled in 1911. Sir Webb designed the memorial to be the symbolic hub of the Empire and the centerpiece for his entire Mall plan, including Admiralty Arch and a new front for Buckingham Palace.
From a platform embellished with marble water basins, rises a pedestal surmounted by a gilt-bronze figure of Victory, at whose feet sit the allegorical figures of Courage and Constancy. At the base, facing the Mall, is the seated figure of Victoria, 13 feet high, carved from a solid block of marble by Sir Thomas Brock. On the sides of the pedestal are marble groups, which represent Truth, Motherhood, and Justice. Around the memorial are further groups in bronze symbolizing Science, Art, Peace, Progress, Naval Power, Industry and Agriculture. The small garden surrounding the memorial is enclosed by a balustrade with piers supporting sculpture, which includes the Heraldic Shields of countries in the British Commonwealth.