The Priory of the Dominicans
occupied this site from 1279 to 1539. Because of their black habits, they
were known as the "Blackfriars."
The pub was built in 1875, but when it was remodeled by the architect H.
Fuller Clark it acquired its exquisite facade and spectacular interior.
In the early 60's the pub was due for demolition, but the public outcry